Author Topic: Hans Schlegel's illnes delays mission progress  (Read 4174 times)

flaihai

Hans Schlegel's illnes delays mission progress
« on: February 10, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
Hi,
learned today in the radio, that German astronaut Hans Schlegel aboard STS-122 was suffering from space sickness. They said they would delay the EVA part which he is to take part in for 48 hours. Poor guy. Hope he'll get cured soon.   ::)

Cheers,
Jan

Twabi2

• Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
Re: Hans Schlegel's illnes delays mission progress
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:33:34 AM »
It's not certain that it's space illness. I even highly doubt it.
NASA considers illness as a private matter, and thus does not communicate with the press about it. They did tell however, that Hans consulted the doctors twice, once during rendezvous which is highly unusual. I'm thinking it's something a bit more serious than space sickness (which should fade away after a couple of hours btw).

-Toine
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
I also don't think anymore that it's just space illness. During the Apollo Moon landing missions in the 60's, space illness was no real problem. They performed all the EVA's as usual already at those days.

It must be something different and more serious I think. What really worries me is that he actually shouldn't be ill after all the medical checks, weeks before the mission. And space illness disappears rather quick actually as Twabi2 sayd too. So it must be something different. I feel very sorry for Hans, with all that training and preparations for the mission which now might turn into frustration. I hope he is going to feel fine for the rest of the mission...

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:53:20 AM »
News update: it wasn't space illness, concerning the german space flight center (DLR), but they don't say what was going on.

Hans is now going to perform the second EVA...