Author Topic: Honoring NASA's Space Shuttles and their crews  (Read 13141 times)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Honoring NASA's Space Shuttles and their crews
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:40 AM »
Dear friends, customers and partners,

On this day, the most celebrated Space Shuttle is being retired at her resting place at the Smithsonian. Discovery, the first to be retired, is finally and sadly resting prematurely and irreversibly.

We decided to start this thread to allow each one of you to express your opinions, impressions, post photos and links to interesting sites covering the NASA STS Program and salute and honor the retiring Space Shuttles and their crews. Please don't turn this thread into a controversy. That can be covered in other threads ;)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Jeff B

• Astronaut
Re: Honoring NASA's Space Shuttles and their crews
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
All of them will be sadly missed but at least we can continue them on their missions thanks to you.  I actually re-read one of the presskits the other day as missed following the real life missions.   

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
Again, the last NASA TV view make me sad... All the STS program make me sad... All the next space program make me sad...  :'(

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Again, the last NASA TV view make me sad... All the STS program make me sad... All the next space program make me sad...  :'(

I hope that SSMS2 will make you happy ;)

/Admin

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
Yes! Hope that I'll get an email from you soon with what you know on it title :)

Yes, SSMS2 will be the best way to honor the STS program and see how the space shuttle was a remarkable flying machine!

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
Astronaut Mike Mullane reflections during the last Discovery mission: final flight to Washington DC.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57415466/astronaut-discoverys-final-fl%20ight-tugged-on-my-heartstrings/?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

Sad...

/Admin

Stardust9906

• Just joined training
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
My most poignant memory of this is the final low level pass over the SLF by the SCA/Shuttle combination and then the two of them climbing off into the distance and out of sight.  And now we are left with the Shuttles as museum pieces and NASA paying the Russians to transport astros to the ISS.  :(