Author Topic: Init DirectInput Failed  (Read 3582 times)

elmarko

• Just joined training
Init DirectInput Failed
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:53:18 PM »
Hi guys,

Coming back to this game after 13-14 years or so, wow.

I have installed the resolution fix just fine (pro tip: you should put that on the main website, only 5.31 is there now and I had to find the fix on the forum after Googling!). I am now having issues with DirectInput. I get a message saying: Init DirectInput Failed and then the application fails to start.

This is a Windows 10 laptop, latest patches and updates, and there is nothing special about it. Any ideas on things I can check? Any logs anywhere I can look at?

Happy to provide any other info on request, thanks in advance.

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Init DirectInput Failed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 10:27:26 PM »
Hello Sir!

The Resolution Fix Patch can be downloaded at our download page. But its usually not necessary to install that, but we take your advice under review.

Hard to say what causes your input problem. SSM2004 usually works flawless on all new computers. The DirectInput version used in SSM2007 is 8.0 and as far as I know it is the latest. The joystick should be turned off by default, so if the sim crashes from scratch it must be the mouse, or the main DInput object that causes the problem.

A well known problem is the poor support for input devices in SSM2007, so I cant really give much help from here. There is a DXDiag program you can run from Windows search list that can confirm DInput in general is working. Next, remove all devices and check if the sim works. Also, it would be nice to know if you are using any super duper flight sim gizmos that could cause the problem.

In the good old WindowsXP you could sort devices and stuff manually in a device list to make them work, and since that was the OS SSM2007 was originally made for we never dig to deep into device configurations. You can still use the old Joystick control panel, but as far as I know the only way is to run it is from the search console using "joy.cpl". Even calibration cant be done from the main Windows input device window.

Well, many words and little help as usual. But you got a couple of things to try anyway.

Regards!
ADMIN
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -