Author Topic: STS-41C Attaching Grapple to S. Max  (Read 3428 times)

aowen

• Just joined training
STS-41C Attaching Grapple to S. Max
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
Hi Community!

What is the procedure for this?

Thanks,
A. Owen

Pappolus

• Astronaut
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
Re: STS-41C Attaching Grapple to S. Max
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »
Hi Community!

What is the procedure for this?

Thanks,
A. Owen

In EVA mode, get close to the top of the satellite. If you made it, you will see the satellite stops spinning and you will have a new comm. If you are in trouble, try hitting the "z" keyboard and an aid sphere will appear showing you where to bring your EVA astronaut to attach the grapple fixture on the satellite. Hope this helps you  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:47:09 PM by Pappolus »
Discovery, go with throttle up

aowen

• Just joined training
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi Pappolus, thanks for your post.  I bumped in to the Solar Max several times and on the last time it stopped rotating and I got the "Nice work" comm. Is that all there is to it?

Thanks,
A. Owen

Pappolus

• Astronaut
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Well, you have to follow the instructions given by the next comms, anyway you have to grapple the satellite with the RMS, attach it to the FSS and then you have to conduct a spacewalk to repair the satellite. Done that, put the satellite again in orbit with the RMS  :)

aowen

• Just joined training
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi Pappolus,  I meant is there more to attaching the grapple to S. Max than just bumping into the satellite with the MMU?  Do you have to place the grapple on the trunion pin and if so how do you do that?

I think I got the grapple on by accident.

Thanks,
A. Owen

Pappolus

• Astronaut
  • Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »
Hi Pappolus,  I meant is there more to attaching the grapple to S. Max than just bumping into the satellite with the MMU?  Do you have to place the grapple on the trunion pin and if so how do you do that?

I think I got the grapple on by accident.

Thanks,
A. Owen
Sorry, I misunderstood :D Anyway no, there is nothing else to do. Once that you bumped into the satellite and it stops rotating, the trunion pin is automatically attached to the SMM (Solar Maximum Mission), and you have nothing else to do but grapple SolarMax.
By the way, I think it would be interesting to read the real story behind this mission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Maximum_Mission#Failure_and_repair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-41-C#Mission_summary