Author Topic: Stuck in the shuttle  (Read 4693 times)

sneezedr424

• Just joined training
  • I tried to catch some fog. I mist.
Stuck in the shuttle
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:59:52 AM »
Howdy there!

I was performing STS-88 on EVA, and I was bringing the RMS back to the payload bay to drop off EV-1 for the final time. The RMS was almost to the bay, just going over the left wing then the Sim decided that I was done. So now EV-1 is stuck inside of the left wing of my space shuttle. Is there any way I can get him out? I really don't want to restart the mission, but I will if I have to.

Thanks!

Sneeze
"From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success!" - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Stannny

• Just joined training
  • Impossible is nothing
Re: Stuck in the shuttle
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »
Hello astronaut,

If the RMS is stuck during the deorbiting preparation sequence I am afraid to say that, but the mission is screwed. No way around it. You may try leaving Shuttle orbiting in "NO GO" mode, that takes long as time skip does not work with this mode, and hope that COMM changes to radiator stow, KU antenna stow and payload bay door close sequence. But there is no guarantee that this will happen. So you basically have three options now: 1) Try to manipulate the RMS to lift the "Reach LIM" limit and extract your EVA; 2) Wait until shuttle does a whole new orbit and COMM sequence changes to other deorbit preparations, in this case you will land with a bug, but have mission count as completed and get a badge; 3) Re-start the mission;

This is a known issue, for example, I have screwed a sussesfully done STS-8 a couple of days ago, while dragging the PFTA cargo with RMS, in the result both shoulder and elbow got in a "REACH LIM" mode, stuck and cannot move, and park accordingly when you have to Zero all joints during landing preparation sequence.

Stannny

• Just joined training
  • Impossible is nothing
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
I have sucessfully landed the STS-26 mission with a Chandra satellite sticking 45 degrees up from the payload bay. Seems funny, but bug happened: computer gives me a command to rise the satellite for launch, I comply. Then I am given the comm to position a Shuttle at the angle for satellite launch. Here all difficulties start, I enter PYR values from the checklist, they don't work (perhaps were made for earlier versions of the game), I am trying to position a Shuttle with a joystick (I am flying with a flight stick) and each time the yellow horizontal bar passes the central ADI horizontal reticle nothing happens. Then I get a command that satellite already at Stage 1. Then a command to prepare for deorbit (while satellite is still sticking, I guess that rise button does not foresee the possibility to lower the payload bay cargo). Fine, I follow all the commands, stow the radiators, KU antenna, close the payload bay (with sticking satellite) and go for re-entry sequences. Landed successfully and satellite was still sticking up with Shuttle already standing on a runway with a mission complete status and badge in achievements. Though in reality such de-orbiting and re-entry would have been a disaster.

So, basically, if computer orders you further sequences follow them and go for de-orbit, re-entry and landing. If it shows "No-go" then you might wait until Shuttle completes a new orbit and COMM might change, but if that does not happen and you are already in deorbit procedures - then you should restart the mission, or load an earlier save where the problem could be still fixed.

sneezedr424

• Just joined training
  • I tried to catch some fog. I mist.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:28:25 PM »
Yeah ... I should probably save more often. Many thanks for the advice, but I think I'm just going to start over. Happy flying!

Sneeze
"From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success!" - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Stannny

• Just joined training
  • Impossible is nothing
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
Yes, definately, create a new save once something new happens in the simulation. I have finished STS-8 and got a badge btw, it was just a bug with RMS stuck in Reach Lim both in Shoulder and Elbow after moving the first PFTA cargo. Just selected the proper save, loaded it and continued the mission normally. Saving is very important. Good luck!