Author Topic: sts 121 at 500 ft next TORVA  (Read 3584 times)

steve carter

• Trainee
sts 121 at 500 ft next TORVA
« on: April 05, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
I have the DAP settings set per the checklist..but just can't seem to know how to transition upward and in front of the ISS.. Have tried on the num pad trans FW/BK/LFT/RGT/UP/DOWN, but don't move to where I should be on the VBAR...It's like playing golf..it can't be this difficult, but it is..Any help greatly appreciated.

Cras

• Astronaut
Re: sts 121 at 500 ft next TORVA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
The key to all TOR operations is to maintain the rotation rate.   So when you are going to initiate the TORVA, establish your twice orbital rotation rate...and then keep the station centered on the COAS by translating forward and back, doing the occasional +/- Z to maintain the same distance from the station, and you will find yourself soon drawing a circle around the station.

You are right, it isnt that hard to do at all.   I just hope I did a good job explaining how to do it.

StoneC0ld

• Just joined training
Re: sts 121 at 500 ft next TORVA
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:05:17 PM »
Also, uri_ba made an excellent set of tutorials on the ISS (and similar) rendezvous, TORVA and docking, as well as undocking, separation and the fly-around (which works pretty much the same way as the TORVA).  And explains it better than I ever could...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC747523AE8E1C56  (just skip past the landing and RMS tutorials, if desired).

It may seem difficult or impossible, but once you figure out the technique, it really isn't so bad.  Good luck, and hope this helps.