Author Topic: Question on Soyuz craft  (Read 10470 times)

HMSEndeavorreborn

• Astronaut
Question on Soyuz craft
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »
Guys just curious if anyone knows what happens to the orbital module of the Soyuz craft during deorbit. I know they jettison it but haven't been able to dig up info on what happens once it's gone. Does it remain in orbit or does drag eventually land up dropping it back to Earth?

Know this isn't shuttle related but the question popped into my head and I figured someone here would know the answer. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum
Born On Earth. Yearning To Live Amongst The Stars

christra

Re: Question on Soyuz craft
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
Guys just curious if anyone knows what happens to the orbital module of the Soyuz craft during deorbit. I know they jettison it but haven't been able to dig up info on what happens once it's gone. Does it remain in orbit or does drag eventually land up dropping it back to Earth?

Know this isn't shuttle related but the question popped into my head and I figured someone here would know the answer. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum

It is jettisoned after the de-orbit burn since 1988. So it should have a similar way down into the atmosphere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_(spacecraft)#Orbital_Module

mborgia

• Astronaut
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:56:25 AM »
The Orbital Module and Instrumentation/Propulsion Module are both simultaneously jettisoned about six minutes prior to entry interface.  Both components then burn up on entry.

bjbeard

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:51:22 AM »
Six minutes of separation? Now that is nuts! On a side note, is there any place to get a highly detailed flight profile for the vehicle? Cant find anything in English that is detailed beyond the most basic level. No pay sites please.

Pocci

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
What is the problem with six minutes separation?
I am Skydiver, and we leave the plane with 5 seconds separation normally.
(And you dont want to hit another skydiver in the air.)

The separated parts are probably lighter or have a higher drag than the capsule, because they are burning up. When the parachute of the capsule opens they are either already burnt or far away.

/Armin
Coordinator of 1st multiplayer Launch on 2009-05-30