Author Topic: SSMS2 New Cockpit announcement  (Read 41757 times)

JLM

• Shuttle Pilot
  • "Space....the infinite frontier."-Spock
Re: SSMS2 New Cockpit announcement
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
I hope we will be able to control the different lighting options on the instrument panels.

As well as a list of other functions.

Cras

• Astronaut
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »
There is another thought that crossed my mind.  If things are now going to be able to be manipulated in the VC, which I assume also includes the monitors (and I wonder if the additional monitors will be included somehow?), does that mean it will no longer be neccessary to have them show up when viewing the rear 2d panels?  Because they really did get in the way when having two monitors on.  They take up such a big part of the screen and there seems to be no way to toggle them or resize them.

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:05 AM »
With 3D cockpit + TrackIR, the Docking and RMS will be incredible !!!! Can't wait!!
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 02:14:11 AM »
Yes back on the topic  :)

I assume the intent for the new cockpit is not only will the switches be able to be hit in the VC, but also the input keyboard for the GPCs and the DAP as well?

And how about the egg timers?  Are those just there for visual eye candy or will we be able to set them or will they be say tied to actual countdowns like say the countdown clock on an OMS burn?

1. ALL the switches, BUTTONS, knobs
2. Egg timers: probably eye candy, but it's still too early to commit.

/Admin

Cras

• Astronaut
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »
With 3D cockpit + TrackIR, the Docking and RMS will be incredible !!!! Can't wait!!

Just ordered TrackIR myself and it is on the way.  Can't wait to try it out in the Space Shuttle.

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »
There is another thought that crossed my mind.  If things are now going to be able to be manipulated in the VC, which I assume also includes the monitors (and I wonder if the additional monitors will be included somehow?), does that mean it will no longer be neccessary to have them show up when viewing the rear 2d panels?  Because they really did get in the way when having two monitors on.  They take up such a big part of the screen and there seems to be no way to toggle them or resize them.

1. Which "additional monitors"?
2. Currnetly we do not plan to change the 2D part significantly.

/Admin

Pocci

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2011, 02:46:23 AM »
I guess he is speaking about the rear video monitors (MON1 and MON2) which are at the right side of the screen on a 4:3 aspect ratio display but are right in the middle of the screen on a 16:9 aspect ratio display.
(I already complained about that in an old post ;))
It is nice to have them in the VC, but there are situations where I prefer to use the 2D display. They should only be moved to the right of the display on any aspect ratio display. If it is too complicated to place them to the right side, they should be placed to the left side (especially the control switches of them).

/Armin
Coordinator of 1st multiplayer Launch on 2009-05-30

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2011, 03:35:49 AM »
I guess he is speaking about the rear video monitors (MON1 and MON2) which are at the right side of the screen on a 4:3 aspect ratio display but are right in the middle of the screen on a 16:9 aspect ratio display.
(I already complained about that in an old post ;))
It is nice to have them in the VC, but there are situations where I prefer to use the 2D display. They should only be moved to the right of the display on any aspect ratio display. If it is too complicated to place them to the right side, they should be placed to the left side (especially the control switches of them).

/Armin

No. Not those. That's a different subject, and it's understood well. He is actually talking abou ADDITIONAL monitors. I wonder which.

/Admin

Pocci

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 04:03:17 AM »
If Cras is speaking about more additional monitors than MON1 and MON2 I don't know either what he is speaking about, because as far as I know every monitor in the cockpit is already simulated.
(Except of free floating laptops and other stuff like cameras ;) but I guess this would go way too far.)

/Armin
Coordinator of 1st multiplayer Launch on 2009-05-30

Gordo

• Just joined training
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 06:26:32 AM »
Speaking of laptops (and slightly off topic), Chris Ferguson mentioned in an interview that they do practice approach and landings on the laptop on-orbit prior to commencement of the actual thing. What software is that? He stated that it was almost identical in handling and extremely realistic. I gather its NASA propriety software but with the end of the shuttle program is this available anywhere?

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 06:36:25 AM »
Speaking of laptops (and slightly off topic), Chris Ferguson mentioned in an interview that they do practice approach and landings on the laptop on-orbit prior to commencement of the actual thing. What software is that? He stated that it was almost identical in handling and extremely realistic. I gather its NASA propriety software but with the end of the shuttle program is this available anywhere?

They indeed train the landing on orbit for many years. Nah, excuse me, they "did" :'(

I don't know which software this is. It's for sure solely made and owned by NASA. But it could be likely that it would be available some time in the future. But I doubt it would be as complex as SSM since it's just made for landing. NASA astronauts even would be surprised to know that there is something like SSM and what it actually does do as a desktop sim 8)

Whilst I think a few astronauts do know SSM already :)

Cras

• Astronaut
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »
The "additional" monitors I was referring to are that on the later STS misisons, the crew brought with them additional video monitors, they were generally deployed on the sills of the rear windows that overlooked the Shuttle Payload bay.  They in a sense provided MON 3 and MON 4.  Not as if it is neccessary and all the robotics in the missions in the current version of the sim are able to be done without them.  Just a thought that crossed my mind when I saw you added the egg timers.

What would be more impressive than the additional monitors would be some sort of simulation of the RPOP display.  It is displayed on a laptop, which would be quite difficult to implement I would believe, so maybe just a pop up window.

Gordo

• Just joined training
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
I agree that SSM is a much more complete simulation than they are likely provided with, it would be nice to get your hands on the "actual" software that they practise/rehearse the approach and landing with. I think it would also serve as a good benchmark to the flight dynamics of any current/future shuttle simulators.

ragle_bagle

• Trainee
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »
They definitely do practice in orbit here is a picture of Scott Altman on STS-125:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-125/hires/s125e013050.jpg

Not quite sure what it is  :-\

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
I agree that SSM is a much more complete simulation than they are likely provided with, it would be nice to get your hands on the "actual" software that they practise/rehearse the approach and landing with. I think it would also serve as a good benchmark to the flight dynamics of any current/future shuttle simulators.

Ah yes, that's actually a very important point which I missed. It would be almost revolutionary to have that NASA Shuttle landing sim to base the behaviour of SSM on 8)

And it also would be interesting to see if one can land "the real" Shuttle. I guess it would be possible :) Why not? ;)