Author Topic: Sunny Delight!  (Read 4094 times)

Cygnus

• Astronaut
Sunny Delight!
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »
I was de-orbiting STS-130 today and got to see something I haven't seen before. At least, I don't remember seeing it before...

The sun was in view directly ahead right at the point of re-entry. As the orange glow started to fill the windows, so too did the sun! I was really cool to see it go from white, to orange, to white again. When you can sit and go "wowwww" at a simulation like that, you know you have a special program in your hands!

Just thought I'd share.  :)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Sunny Delight!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
I was de-orbiting STS-130 today and got to see something I haven't seen before. At least, I don't remember seeing it before...

The sun was in view directly ahead right at the point of re-entry. As the orange glow started to fill the windows, so too did the sun! I was really cool to see it go from white, to orange, to white again. When you can sit and go "wowwww" at a simulation like that, you know you have a special program in your hands!

Just thought I'd share.  :)

New, subtle change to the sim visuals and realism. It wasn't there before 5.30, but it was suggested here, so we took the cue.

The 5.30 changelog also says "-Change: Sun color" :)

We're happy you enjoy it so much. We do too.

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Cygnus

• Astronaut
Re: Sunny Delight!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
That's genius. I would have never thought to add that to the program. Just never occurred to me that I would see that. Like I said, I don't think I've ever de-orbited with the sun directly ahead. As I reached the entry phase, I was thinking "hmmm, I wonder if the color will change" or if I would even see the sun at all. Amazing how something so subtle can add so much. Kudos!  ;D