Author Topic: will this game keep running after the retire shuttle?  (Read 27547 times)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: will this game keep running after the retire shuttle?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
I can tell you one thing now: after talking with a few NASA officials off the record, I am much more optimistic about the NASA manned Space exploration ;)

The near future IS exciting.

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
I can tell you one thing now: after talking with a few NASA officials off the record, I am much more optimistic about the NASA manned Space exploration ;)

The near future IS exciting.

You certainly don't mean the upcoming cuts of NASA's most sacred cow: the astronaut corps (by about 50%) once the Shuttle has been retired, because no more flying is going to happen for years ;)

Beside that STS might be extended until late 2011 which might be an exciting "near future", everything else regarding manned space flight is in limbo at NASA (i.e. no future yet).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:29:26 PM by Moonwalker »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
You certainly don't mean the upcoming cuts of NASA's most sacred cow: the astronaut corps (by about 50%) once the Shuttle has been retired, because no more flying is going to happen for years ;)

Beside that STS might be extended until late 2011 which might be an exciting "near future", everything else regarding manned space flight is in limbo at NASA (i.e. no future yet).

Nice try, but I can't tell more.

/Admin

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
Well nice try also, but I'm not optimistic because there is nothing really more other than STS is going to be extended through 2011 (which was foreseeable, i.e  is a usual NASA delay), and that the remaning 64 member astronaut corps (which once was more than 140 in 2000) and a lot of other things are going to be cut dramatically ;) NASA has selected 13 companies for potential contracts and for evaluating heavy-lift launch vehicle system concepts, but that's for the future. And this future is more than far away any rather uncertain yet. The White House is quite busy doing research on how to cut NASA at best, because the government currently suffers from other serious domestic political problems other than the question of NASA's future manned program (they don't really care at the moment).

There are always NASA officials who make advertising for NASA and try to make sound everything bloomy and harmonic. It's usual. They also did so even when Constellation was widely known to be as dead as possible (they even did send form letters to employees to try to encourage them which of course did not work).

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
"Nice try"? I'm not trying anything - I'm reporting, not speculating. But go ahead. I have a feeling that you enjoy this "forecasting" game, especially since there are so many things that you don't actually know, while there are so many variables that change all the time.

I am bored again so I'm moving on.

/Admin

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »
You try to encourage people by saying that NASA officials have told you something which obviously makes you think that NASA has an exciting future :)

Just let me say that everything one knows from NASA employees is anything but exciting, and this for years already. Not to talk about the latest debates and decisions in Washington. So I'm just curious because you are really the only person I know of which says something optimistic. People who work for NASA and did work for NASA, sound way way different...

I don't forecast or speculate btw. I'm just telling what is happening and that NASA outwardly always tries to make sound everything way less worse than it actually is ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:01:18 PM by Moonwalker »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »
Actually, in case you forgot I was the more pessimist one, remember? So no, I'm not trying to encourage anybody.

Enjoy the show.

/Admin

bjbeard

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
I have $75US set aside for just an eventuality. (Looks at Admin...intensely)

Nah, it will NOT cost anything near US$75, unless the US$ takes an unbearable dive - and I believe it won't!

/Admin

Hey we are paying $50 to $60US for PS3, 360, Wii, or even most new PC or Mac games... So by the time you got around to the Apollo Mission Simulator, That should be about right...Especially after China sells their USD for Euros...

snolette

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »
Although I've had SSM since Day 1, as it is with life's time allowances, I'm still a newbie.  I do have a question...

With the release of SSM2 slated for 3rd or 4th quarter 2011, are there any new updates, missions or features planned to be added to SSM 2007 in the meantime?

Thanks.

wolfast

• Just joined training
  • Fear is the Mind Killer
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »
Space shuttle forever ;)  There is something romantic about our shuttles vs. a pod or capsule. Our virtual fleet will keep the old dream alive

16+ Years of Flight Simulation
Jason Hyatt

Nats

• Just joined training
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
I dont see a great future for anything past SS2 myself. I find it difficult to imagine anything major that could be added into the present game to be honest, other than slightly better graphics and I cant really imagine buying a new game just for those unless they were remarkable.

I would however love to see a very good Apollo simulator and I would love to see you people do it as I think you would do it very well.

A mars explorer simulator ? - I struggle to see how that could be made all that interesting considering the length of the journey and the amount that would actually be done once they got there. And obviously its fantasy not simulation.

I suppose another thing that could be considered would be a moon habitat simulator but again its in the realms of fantasy at the moment and I get the impression you people dont wish to go there. I would think though that it could be done well with a bit of imagination.

But I think if you are wishing to concentrate only on manned space exploration similation you will find there are no kind of developments in this field over at least the next 10-20 years, everyone is just so skint now it will take years to get out of all this debt. Unmanned exploration is where it all is for the foreseeable future.
"Its life Jim but not as we know it"

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
I dont see a great future for anything past SS2 myself. I find it difficult to imagine anything major that could be added into the present game to be honest, other than slightly better graphics and I cant really imagine buying a new game just for those unless they were remarkable.

I would however love to see a very good Apollo simulator and I would love to see you people do it as I think you would do it very well.

A mars explorer simulator ? - I struggle to see how that could be made all that interesting considering the length of the journey and the amount that would actually be done once they got there. And obviously its fantasy not simulation.

I suppose another thing that could be considered would be a moon habitat simulator but again its in the realms of fantasy at the moment and I get the impression you people dont wish to go there. I would think though that it could be done well with a bit of imagination.

But I think if you are wishing to concentrate only on manned space exploration similation you will find there are no kind of developments in this field over at least the next 10-20 years, everyone is just so skint now it will take years to get out of all this debt. Unmanned exploration is where it all is for the foreseeable future.

We hope to surprise you ;)

/Admin

Richard R

• Astronaut
  • JSC-CB
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 07:01:08 PM »
I see us just as the Shuttle program was in the early 80s.A lot of missions to fly, and a lot of upgrades yet to come.

Richard R
In Houston keeping up with my training.