Author Topic: will this game keep running after the retire shuttle?  (Read 27546 times)

njcrebels63

• Astronaut
will this game keep running after the retire shuttle?
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
what is it gonna happen to this game after they retire the shuttle.. is it going to fictional now or what?? just a wonder?

krisj

• Astronaut
    • www.spaceplace.be
Re: will this game keep running after the retire shuttle?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »
ssm2010 is comming as the shuttle is already retired so it will just go on to sim sts missions from the past and the latest flights

sts-1,sts-8,sts-26,sts-27,sts-31,sts-32,sts-41C,sts-47,sts-51A,sts-88,sts-93,sts-96,
sts-98,sts-99,sts-100,sts-103,sts-116,sts-117,sts-121,sts-122,sts-124,sts-125,
sts-128,sts-130,sts-401,Ares 1-X

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
We still have a lot of things to add to the sim: features, missions, etc. If it's only up to us, this sim will have a very long life :)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Jeff B

• Astronaut
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »
Thats what we like to hear Admin  :) :) :)

njcrebels63

• Astronaut
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:34:06 AM »
thats good but it will be sad for shuttle to retire it wont be the same  :'( :'(

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
thats good but it will be sad for shuttle to retire it wont be the same  :'( :'(

I agree, but that's another matter. At least WE shall keep the Shuttle flying, albeit, in a virtual Space :)

/Admin

njcrebels63

• Astronaut
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
amen to that! ;D

Puma

• Astronaut
  • PUMA IS IN ORBIT
    • Authors Page
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:59:40 AM »
Soyuz simulation as a part of the ISS project...will be fun to have some expeditions on the sim ...any way the Soyuz and the space shuttle are related one to the another since they both flight to the ISS..
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
>Puma<
Hector Melo

Richard R

• Astronaut
  • JSC-CB
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »
 I don't see a last mission for us for a long time..

Richard R
In Houston keeping up with my training.

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
If not by SSM, the Space Shuttle will continue to exist on computers by other simulations for decades I think. But I guess SSM already will last VERY long :)

It's sad that I did not witness one of the greatest eras of manned space exploration: Apollo. But I'm very glad and actually thankful that I've got the chance to at least witness the Shuttle program from beginning to end, although I was just two years old when STS-1 lifted off. But I remember being interested in it already when I was in elementary school in the mid 1980's, initiated by the accident of Challenger. I remember the broadcast on TV as if it was yesterday. Being thankful to be a witness of that great era of space flight, I'm also thankful for SSM as it will keep up great memories.

But what I'm often asking myself is: what would happen in about 100 or maybe 500 years? Life is rather short. I wonder if humans will still be interested in "old" stuff like the Shuttle, or just watch the remains in museums but not knowing a lot of it beside just a few historians will do. But by that time, I think almost everybody will be able to take a cheap ticket for space planes, that take you from New York to Tokio in no time on a suborbital flight, whilst having a small snack and experiencing zero-g for some 20 to 30 minutes before landing ;) I'm confident that subsonic, "low" atmospheric passenger flight will become obsolete in the long term... Concorde was just the first small step, which appeared prematurely.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:06:42 PM by Moonwalker »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »
If not by SSM, the Space Shuttle will continue to exist on computers by other simulations for decades I think. But I guess SSM already will last VERY long :)

It's sad that I did not witness one of the greatest eras of manned space exploration: Apollo. But I'm very glad and actually thankful that I've got the chance to at least witness the Shuttle program from beginning to end, although I was just two years old when STS-1 lifted off. But I remember being interested in it already when I was in elementary school in the mid 1980's, initiated by the accident of Challenger. I remember the broadcast on TV as if it was yesterday. Being thankful to be a witness of that great era of space flight, I'm also thankful for SSM as it will keep up great memories.

But what I'm often asking myself is: what would happen in about 100 or maybe 500 years? Life is rather short. I wonder if humans will still be interested in "old" stuff like the Shuttle, or just watch the remains in museums but not knowing a lot of it beside just a few historians will do. But by that time, I think almost everybody will be able to take a cheap ticket for space planes, that take you from New York to Tokio in no time on a suborbital flight, whilst having a small snack and experiencing zero-g for some 20 to 30 minutes before landing ;) I'm confident that subsonic, "low" atmospheric passenger flight will become obsolete in the long term... Concorde was just the first small step, which appeared prematurely.

In 100 years, first graders will looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at a Ford-T. In 500 years, first graders would be looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at Kon-Tiki and Ra at the Kon-Tiki Museum in Bygdø, Oslo. :)

/Admin

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
In 100 years, first graders will looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at a Ford-T. In 500 years, first graders would be looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at Kon-Tiki and Ra at the Kon-Tiki Museum in Bygdø, Oslo. :)

I think so as well :) But one thing is or will be amazing: todays movies and photos probably won't look old. At least it won't look as old as stuff and photos that existed before manned space flight and the post war economic boom. At some point, things won't look much different anymore. Take the Apollo Spacecraft and Orion as an example. The Apollo Spacecraft is nearly half a century old. And it still looks cool and modern, and not much different to Orion anyway. It probably won't ever look old. And I think that the Space Shuttle also won't look old. Design has its limits, especially due to physical laws that don't change. What will become old is the technology inside, and of course the historic dates of usage.

Andysim212

• Just joined training
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 06:27:52 AM »
Well put it this way if a Simulation of the apollo missions came out with the same quality as SSM2007 would you buy it?  I willing to bet you would and I think it will be the same with the shuttle sim.

Nats

• Just joined training
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:34:12 PM »
In 100 years, first graders will looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at a Ford-T. In 500 years, first graders would be looking at the Shuttle the same way we look at Kon-Tiki and Ra at the Kon-Tiki Museum in Bygdø, Oslo. :) /Admin

I seriously doubt that. In hundred years we will probably have got on Mars and even established a base there thats about as far as we will be I think. The obstacles both technological and financial to getting this far will be substantial and I wouldnt be at all surprised if it isnt a very similar spacecraft that actually goes to Mars in the end. Its been 50 years since we were on the moon and we havent been back yet. 100 years is nothing. We may always discover shortly something mind blowing like warp travel or antigravity but I seriously doubt it! Otherwise we wont be going very far for a long long time.

Looking further afield either there will be something that leads us to push towards space exploration (global warming etc), or something that will mean we have no interest in space exploration (war or the ongoing/a new financial crash). Either one of these will have large repercussions for the future of our race, one could almost say that with fiances the way they are presently any space exploration at all is very unlikely over the next hundred years as it waill take that long to get back on our feet.

Either way I think there is a growing feeling amongst a lot of people that we are getting close to the knife edge of something new and that we cannot continue mulling along the way we have been in the past. We are getting too populated, too industrial, too polluted, too frustrated and angry with a lot of things, and far too greedy - the future is becoming very uncertain for human beings.

Personally I think we should definitely explore the Moon and Mars as it would provide something to strive for by the human race and we should always have something like that. I was just reading the history of NASA and that was one of the main things that came out of it - that the Moon race gave human kind something to focus on other than their petty day to day troubles. Space exploration brings people together and that is going to become more necessary than ever over the next few centuries I think.
"Its life Jim but not as we know it"

Andysim212

• Just joined training
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
Seems like the shuttle has an extra mission left in 2011 so it will be around a while yet hehe.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/08/nasa-approve-sts-135-mission-june-28-2011-launch/

Will be good to see Atlantis fly 1 more time as this seems to be the ship of choice