Author Topic: Newcomers, please log in here :)  (Read 166872 times)

MECO

• Astronaut
Re: Newcomers, please log in here :)
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Hi Rick,

Sufficed to say we're all "space geeks" here so you're in good company.

Welcome onboard!

MECO
SSMS2007: Complete

frantic69

• Just joined training
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
Hello,

I just buy the game and this is my first message on the forum. I wanted to introduce myself and say that this game is really amazing. I have been playing simulation for 25 years now (I am 40) and I must say that I am really impressed by the high quality and professional level of this sim.

I will now begin my hard learning (I already began few days ago and I read a lot of NASA documentation about the shuttle systems). I will probably ask you a lot of thing because it is a quite complex simulation and I am sure that there is a lot of high experienced people here.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor English (this is not my mother tongue).

Thank you
Frantic 

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Hi frantic69,

Thank you for the warm words, and welcome to one of the friendliest communities in the simulation market.

Yes, SSMS is complex and not everything can be covered in a 130 pages manual. You're doing well reading NASA material. You'll find the extra information very useful in understanding the Shuttle systems, operation and handling, and invaluable in finishing the missions smoothly.

Nevertheless, in case you need help, check in the Help and Ground School sections here. The resident gurus and mods will be more than happy to make your journey in Space a pleasant one.

See you on orbit,
/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

steve c

• Just joined training
« Reply #198 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »
Hi everyone

Just to say hello having recently registered.  Amazed how addictive and time consuming SMS is.  I am looking forward to many hours of challenging sim time.  Hoping to glean as much help and info from 'veterans' out there.

Thanks

Steve C

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #199 on: October 04, 2011, 04:25:37 AM »
:)

Welcome Steve. Enjoy the company.

/Admin

CristiRo

• Trainee
  • Universe is Infinite
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »
Hi

I am happy that I went into SSMS community.I really like simulators especially missiles and aircraft. I bought the game two years ago because I liked very much.I have 14 years,and I'm from Romania.

Thanks

Cristi
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)User -

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2011, 03:28:28 AM »
Hi

I am happy that I went into SSMS community.I really like simulators especially missiles and aircraft. I bought the game two years ago because I liked very much.I have 14 years,and I'm from Romania.

Thanks

Cristi

Salutari Cristi. Speram ca te vei simti bine aici :)

/Admin

Mrfoot

• Just joined training
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:34 AM »
Hello,

For about 3 weeks now I have been browsing these forums after purchasing the game, and have decided that I would like to become a part of the community.

First and foremost I would like to say that this simulator is amazing! :D Before I started playing SSMS2007 I played X-Plane, which as the title suggests, is a plane simulator. With no instruction manual I basically learned how to fly a Boeing 747 by trial and error. :P But SSMS2007 has a manual literally built into the game! This, I think, is one of its most useful features.

As for how I ended up finding SSMS2007, I got it from the advertisement on the F-Sim Space Shuttle app on the iPhone. That app, as it turns out, has lead to me never failing a landing on SSMS2007 (except for that one time where i forgot what key the brakes was, but that doesn't count  ;))! I do however, keep getting yelled at by mission control for being too reckless while docking... Is there a specific docking speed?

Anyways, I think that this simulator is awesome and am looking forward to the release of SSMS2! That 3D cockpit is rather cool looking!

Richard R

• Astronaut
  • JSC-CB
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
Welcome Aboard Mrfoot.

Richard R
In Houston keeping up with my training.

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
Mrfoot,

I am glad to see you online ;)

And yes, the max docking velocity is 0.1 feet per second as measured by the LoS. It's in the manual  8)

/Admin

Mrfoot

• Just joined training
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2011, 02:48:17 AM »
No wonder they were irritated, I was steaming in at 0.5  :P.

Thanks for the info!

kevinkowens

• Just joined training
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
hi ZPK

Thank you for your message. The Apollo legacy is one to really get into deeply. NASA as a whole needs us right now like never before. I was just there in July right after Atlantis landed and all over KSC when ever I ran into an Astronaut or one was speaking publicly they were literally pleading for the general public to help them out and speak up for the program through our votes; which is basically our voice. To hold politicians accountable whatever your political preference is.
I feel this sim and those who produce it can further an entire generations interest as well as competence in the Space program. Frankly, if we had stayed on pace from the Apollo program we would be on our way to planets past mars by now. We were stuck in orbit around the earth for the most part. I do hope that whatever space craft is designed in the future that these guys will be involved in bringing something to the public to fly.
Yes ZPK, I dont even know how to put into words how happy I am with this sim. I hope they dont rush the next one. Get all the bugs out and take your time. We will enjoy this one until its ready,lol. Thank you for your note ZPK

Kevin

JWvD

• Just joined training
« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick hello and express my first experiences with ssms and the impact it had on me. I have been interested in space all my life and, when I was a child, was almost fanatical about it. The ending of the shuttle era made me pretty sad, it did not just feel like the closure of an era but also the ending of some of the dreams everyone had at the beginning of the program.

Fast forward to me finding this simulation (three weeks ago now I think). I got here through related suggestions of youtube on space video's. It looked amazing (especially for being from 2007).

So I installed the demo, read through part of the quick start guide (impatient Ill admit), chose easiest difficulty mode and went for it. Finding the buttons was hard at first when you have no clue but easiest difficulty mode really is not that hard, it just takes a little perseverance.

After countdown up I went through the clouds. The audio from MCC is amazing and I looked at the MFD's showing me data I did not yet understand. After the trademark stages of separating the boosters and the tank I found myself after MECO floating in space. In time I figured out I had to load burn targets in the GPC to adjust the attitude of the shuttle. As I watched the RCS kick in from the external view I almost wanted to cry. I am not a flight simmer. But I love this!

Since then I have been with my head in the SCOM during every lunch break. I have invested in a good joystick (secondhand saitek X52 which performs beautifully) and in a TrackIR equivalent setup (Freetrack) for maximum enjoyment.

This is not just a sim for me. Its an experience.. One I have desired to live since childhood. I had goosebumps when I was allowed to test the manual control of the RCS system and had to flip the switch on the control panel to enable the flightstick.

When I was closing the cargo bays as one of the preparations for reentry I of course could not resist to look up through the top windows and was reward by seeing the earth "above" me. Somehow the 2007 graphics really did not bother me at all at that moment.  ;D

Getting all excited during the OMS burn for deorbit with the shuttle reversed to orbit trajectory. Seeing the DAP work the RCS through the lights on the control panel while the shuttle is engulfed in plasma. Watching the DAP make S turns through the HIS (fun to speed this part up with T and see it a little accelerated) Taking the stick for HAC intersection, hearing a rumble and realizing that was probably the shuttle going  subsonic. Looking at the HDI to see the shuttle speed just below Mach 1 as the music picks up (such a great choice of music and perfectly timed).

Resisting the urge to pull up too early (its not called a flare for nothing) and crashing the shuttle because in all the excitement I forgot that lowering the gear is actually a two step process (arm and lower).  :'( (I landed it perfectly afterwards though)

I love you guys for making this! Thank you.  :)

I actually got a hold of the boxed version and its my prized possession now. (although my friends think im crazy i bought something from 2007) I know ssms2 is coming but I'm probably covered for a looong time. Besides I need the training. I have no idea how active this forum still is but I just wanted to share the experience and, at the very least, say thanks.

Don't you dare stop working on ssms2 in the meantime.  ;)

Kind regards,

JW

[edit grammar]
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:27:43 AM by JWvD »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »
Hey JW,

Thank you for the warm words.

We are honored and happy to help you enjoy the STS experience. Incidentally, despite the sim being marked as "2007", it was actally released on at 00:00:00 Zulu, 31 Dec 2007, so it can technically be regarded as having been released on 2008. Since its release, SSMS saw almost monthly releases of new features and new missions, the last package having been released on May 2010, so the game is not that old :)

You'll find this forum very friendly, and mst of its members, old hands at commanding the Shuttle and finishing the missions (multiple times). Just dig the most viewed thread of the forum - the "Astronauts Achievements". Once you finish missions, place an "add" request there and Cthulhus, the thread creator and one of the local gurus and moderators will be happy to oblige :)

If you have any issues with completing any mission, there are many experienced Virtual Astronauts here, with hundreds of active hours, some in real time, more than happy to assist.

Start at low difficulty and work your way up to the hard setting. Print the checklists and put them to good use.

We hope to hear more stories from your adventures in space. And remember: in order to be a successful SSMS Astronaut you need Patience, Perseverance, Practice and desire for Perfection.

Have fun on orbit!
/Admin

JWvD

• Just joined training
« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2012, 04:13:04 AM »
Thank you for the welcome "admin",

Good to hear the sim has been well supported since its release. It certainly gives me plenty of missions to play through (and I've always wanted to drive a MMU!).  ;D

I will keep your advice in mind and will most certainly share some stories of my experiences on orbit. For now it seems I need to do STS-1 one more time since I did not start from -1:50 so I do not qualify for the Astronauts Achievements yet. That will be my first "mission in a mission".  :D

JW