Author Topic: Newcomers, please log in here :)  (Read 166857 times)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
Re: Newcomers, please log in here :)
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Hi

I've Just bought The Collectors Edition and its a big step forward from the original Space shuttle from the early days which i still have somewhere :)

I've only just scratched the surface of the sim, but from what i've seen its excellent - highly recommend it to anyone thats into flightsims or fancy something challenging.

I cant wait for the new version :)

Thank you for the thumbs up SteveTRM, and welcome to our community :)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Ross

• Just joined training
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
I am a long time Shuttle user, so it is a real treat to play a shuttle simulator as in depth as this.  I hope the second version will be even more spectacular!  And I'm sure it will be ;) is the dev team a part of the forums?  Is there a page where we can post specific requests (n regards to SSM2) or is the development cycle and the feature set pretty much locked in?  I always thought that the astronauts could use a hand grapple control instead of just going to the prescribed spot.  That is the only frustration I have with this game...err...sim :). Other than that I can't wait to see what's in store...should give me enough time to get the rest of the mission patches!

Cuddly1956

• Just joined training
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2011, 10:36:55 PM »
Hi One and all - Managed to sign up after realising my error lol.
Got this sim and manged to do a few of the missions so far and am extremely impressed with the immersion of it. I think the last shuttle sim I had was on a TRS-80 (showing my vast age there).
May the last shuttle go as well as the first and all come home safe.
John - Wilts UK

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2011, 03:09:43 AM »
Hi One and all - Managed to sign up after realising my error lol.
Got this sim and manged to do a few of the missions so far and am extremely impressed with the immersion of it. I think the last shuttle sim I had was on a TRS-80 (showing my vast age there).
May the last shuttle go as well as the first and all come home safe.
John - Wilts UK

Welcome John,

Enjoy the company and the sim.

We surely hope that Atlantis won't be going the way of Columbia though :( (although I know what you really meant)

/Admin

Richard R

• Astronaut
  • JSC-CB
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
Welcome Aboard John:

Richard R
In Houston keeping up with my training.

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »
Welcome here John !

astrotech

• Just joined training
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »
Hi there, I'm a new comer. Played the free version(shuttlesim.be) long time ago and last week I decided to try the demo version and ended up buying 1 even though SSM2 is on its way very soon. A pilot in real life but doesn't help much in commanding space shuttle.  :P

I've completed STS1 and STS8 mission so far and stuck at rendezvous with the satellite on STS 41C. Hope to learn from all the guru here :)

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
Hi there, I'm a new comer. Played the free version(shuttlesim.be) long time ago and last week I decided to try the demo version and ended up buying 1 even though SSM2 is on its way very soon. A pilot in real life but doesn't help much in commanding space shuttle.  :P

I've completed STS1 and STS8 mission so far and stuck at rendezvous with the satellite on STS 41C. Hope to learn from all the guru here :)
Welcome Astrotech,

Being a pilot does help: you already have two of the necessary skills to start a (virtual) Space Shuttle astro career: Patience and Perseverance. Now you only need Practice ;)

/Admin

Ricovandijk

• Just joined training
« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
Hi All!

My name is Rico and I just purchased the SSMS2007 sim about a week ago after trying the STS-1 mission in the demo.

My story is pretty much the same as Astrotech's. I am a CPL flight instructor for a living and looking up all the time to get a level higher.

I have enjoyed the last real shuttle mission of atlantis on nasa.gov but I can't let it go and continue the story on my laptop computer!

My virtual space experience started with Orbit-er (verstion 0.1 or something) up to 2010p1. Although it has some more freedom in the type of missions and spaceships, this dedicated shuttle sim fulfils my wishes the complex operation of the shuttle systems.

Also, I just looked at the SSMS2 VC screenshots, I don't regret buying 2007, but already hooked to the new version! keep up the good work and a big thank you!

Rico

(ps, I don't think it is necessary to automatically change or-bi-ter-sim into Shuttlesim on this forum, since the 2 programs are not really competitors and perfectly work parallel to each other ;-))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:05:40 PM by Ricovandijk »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
Welcome to your new addiction Rico :)

We are happy to be here and able to keep the Space Shuttle Legacy for the enjoyment of all.

See you on orbit!

/Admin

ZuluPapaKilo

• Just joined training
  • Yn Y Nwyfre Yn Hedfan
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:47 AM »
Hello everyone.

I just purchased SSM 2007, my first Shuttle simulator since one just called "Shuttle" made for the PC in the early 90's. Like many others the culmination of the program re-sparked my interest in a simulator.

Normally I would not purchase a 4 year old program for which a sequel has already been announced but I also realize that the sim market is not PC gaming's most robust sales branch and every bit of support helps insure there will be a future version. That said, SSM 2007 stands up very well in the current market. So I consider it a good investment.

Thank you for turning your passion for the Shuttle Program into a simulator we can all enjoy.

ZPK

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
Hello everyone.

I just purchased SSM 2007, my first Shuttle simulator since one just called "Shuttle" made for the PC in the early 90's. Like many others the culmination of the program re-sparked my interest in a simulator.

Normally I would not purchase a 4 year old program for which a sequel has already been announced but I also realize that the sim market is not PC gaming's most robust sales branch and every bit of support helps insure there will be a future version. That said, SSM 2007 stands up very well in the current market. So I consider it a good investment.

Thank you for turning your passion for the Shuttle Program into a simulator we can all enjoy.

ZPK

Welcome ZPK,

First, thank you for the support.

You are right re. the sim market. In a largely instant-gratification, casual world, RPG seems to be doing much better ;)

Second, I'd like to expand/explain the "age" of the sim: despite its (mistakenly chosen) misleading title, SSM2007 (AKA SSMS1) been released at the Zulu midnight of Dec 31, 2007 - I'd say, "the morning of 2008". That technically makes it a bit younger than 4 y/o :) However, after release, it kept on receiving monthly free updates - corrections, but mainly new, significant features and missions, allowing it to stay "young". The last update was last May, when we officially started working on SSMS2. Practically, that makes it a tad more than 1 y/o. That explains why it "stands up very well in the current market", as you correctly point out.

We hope to keep the SSMS franchise alive long enough to complete all the STS missions, and all the cool ideas we have for it.

Every support we get toward that goal, counts, so thank you again for yours :)

/Admin

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
I just purchased SSM 2007, my first Shuttle simulator since one just called "Shuttle" made for the PC in the early 90's.

Do you mean "Shuttle - The Space Flight Simulator" from Virgin Games/Vektor Grafix? And if so, do you still use it? I use it again since STS-135. It's old and slow but still a lot of fun 8) (I'm using the Amiga version in combination with an Amiga emulator which works like a charm).

And welcome by the way :)

ZuluPapaKilo

• Just joined training
  • Yn Y Nwyfre Yn Hedfan
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:36 AM »
Thank you both for the welcome!

Yes it was Shuttle - The Space Flight Simulator I was referring to. I no longer have the discs (they stopped working years ago) so I haven't tried the program in years.

One thing I particularly liked in that title was the inclusion of the Enterprise flight tests. That could be a good inclusion for SSM2, if it has not already been suggested  ;)

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »
Thank you both for the welcome!

Yes it was Shuttle - The Space Flight Simulator I was referring to. I no longer have the discs (they stopped working years ago) so I haven't tried the program in years.

You can get it for free online since it is not produced anymore. But the PC version won't work on fast machines. The Amiga version will work fine in conjunction with an Amiga emulation ;D

One thing I particularly liked in that title was the inclusion of the Enterprise flight tests. That could be a good inclusion for SSM2, if it has not already been suggested  ;)

Yes. I also would love to see the rollout from the VAB :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:51:20 AM by Moonwalker »