Author Topic: Just completed first mission!  (Read 6589 times)

OldnSlow

• Just joined training
Just completed first mission!
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »
Completed STS-1! My first mission at last. It all went well except for the ADI jumping around when using the RCS but I persevered and finally got it. A perfect landing too thanks to the great training video from Uri-ba.
What a wonderful simulation!   ;D  ;D  ;D

sgi

• Astronaut
  • Touch down!
Re: Just completed first mission!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
Please post this message in the specific item "Hall of Fame".
Congratulations about your first mission completed: STS-1 also was my first mission, and I know how you feels... About ADI, use short bursts and look at yellow needles, because them start moving only when exacts coordinates are very close. Next mission could be STS-8, where you'll practise with RMS and grapple.
Welcome aboard!

RMS Driver

• Astronaut
  • "Docking Complete"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »
Also, it helps to set the RCS mode to VERN on the C3 panel.

If the ADI is jumping aroud, and you can't get it into the correct position, go into OPS201, and enter ITEM 18 EXCE, and the shuttle will adjust to the proper attitiude, although you may need to make some fine adjustments at the end.

I also find that the ADI dosen't jump around if you adjust your attitude in the order of pitch, roll, yaw or roll, pitch, yaw.
Regards,
Chris

All Missions

Zenra

• Astronaut
    • RMBIMedical
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »
Congratulations!  It is indeed a great feeling to finish your first complete (from T-01:50) mission  ;D

You will get used to the RCS and the manouvers required to attain attitudes needed for various mission phases.  Manouvering truly in all degrees of freedom can be tricky and requires some mental gymnastics, so practice as often as you can.  For example you can use time on orbit after messages like "Select 'Next Event' to move to the next mission phase" for such practice without affecting the timing of the rest of the mission (just make sure you don't use up all of your RCS fuel :)).  Also, getting a baseball or small model of a plane can help visualize the apparent "jumps" that happen when making large (e.g., 180°) attitude changes, especially when changing pitch or roll by more than 90°.

Good stuff and welcome aboard!  As sgi said post in the Hall of Fame thread and the mods will immortalize your accomplishment there...
Zenra

monkeywho

• Just joined training
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
Congrat's!  Just finished the same mission myself.  I love your screen name by the way.   :D

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:26 PM »
Congratulation and welcome on-board !
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -