Author Topic: STS-125  (Read 70572 times)

uri_ba

• Shuttle Pilot
  • Proudly Addicted!
    • SSM-fans Rulez! :)
Re: STS-125
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
does it the first time we shown two Shuttles on the pad on same time?

nop.
during the "golden age" (84-86) this was quite common.
especially when Columbia was sitting on the pad for almost 180 days because of technical issues.
The SSM-fans sites:
Blog: http://blog.ssm-fans.info
Wiki: http://wiki.ssm-fans.info
The Image Pad: http://upload.ssm-fans.info
you can contact me at uri@ssm-fans.info

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 02:53:30 PM »
oki thanks ! do we have some good pictures of that?
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
  • Re-Building Mir, with a Hammer and Sickle
    • My 3D Models
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »
There have been two shuttle on the pads 16 times before. NASA actually have this site showing when this has happened:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/bothpads.html

Nice blog/news site I found whilst looking for info on "Two Shuttles on Pad 39 A/B"
http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blogs/space/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:39:34 PM by desktopsimmer »
Winner of the "weakest HW/OS combination on which SSM2007 runs with acceptable frame-rates" - Admin

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
 :D Thanks ! :) and it's great that Obama asks for shuttle options !
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
    • My 3D Models
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
'asks' being the operative word. But I've read more into the 'issues' between the US-Russia Government and with recent events in the geo-political world, I think the shuttle will be run a few years longer. Also the staff NASA/United Space alliance will lose to other industries in the '5-year gap' will have an effect on the american space program. I'm actually amazed that NASA have so many astronauts currently in the space program with the gap approaching.
Winner of the "weakest HW/OS combination on which SSM2007 runs with acceptable frame-rates" - Admin

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

USA~Driver

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
I was surprised to hear NASA reconsidering it's decision to retire the Shuttle after all the 'badmouthing' they've been engaged in. Also depending 100% on Russia for our ability to maintain a presence in space no matter how temporary was also 'a bit nearsighted' in hindsight even in the spirit of 'Multi-National participation.'

Ive heard NASA OFFICIALS quote statistics where they conclude another accident with STS is a mathematical certain-tee. Ive heard NASA OFFICALS publicly badmouth the whole OBSS process and seem totally put off by it. (Columbia) Even before 2003 they were having issues with thermal protection, They've dodged a couple bullets, Atlantis in particular, had an extremely close call.

Not sure how NASA goes on here using a system they appear to have little confidence in long-term. Seems they've jump the gun and have been caught a bit flatfooted on this one.  Another query, With ISS complete, What will the Shuttles' main role be and how many would we actually need? I haven't heard what happens if Aries is delayed. Which is sure to happen.  ???       

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
    • My 3D Models
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
The Shuttle main use after ISS completion will be ferrying the MPLM, however, the Jules Verne has proven that the shuttle is redundant in this type of mission.

As for the tile damage, well its another redesign of the tank, and to have at least two shuttles running (one on mission the other as a rescue craft).

Pity that NASA have 'badmouthed' the Shuttle, I wonder if it political pressure rather than safety/financial reasons?

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

USA~Driver

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
I could really go off on a rant here but I think I have made myself clear enough for the forum purposes. DsktpSimmer, We'll hook up on TS for an in-depth.

Bottom-lining it: NASA feels it's 'Jumped the shark' with STS (no matter what they're saying now) and the Russia option is looking more and more un-do-able. In the meantime, What to do in that 5(?) years without killing anybody. Thats harsh, I know, But thats keeping it real.

.....Trying to find that silver lining in a very dark cloud, Lots of people were gonna lose jobs in the transition phase. Maybe this will help that.   

pheberer

• Astronaut
  • "Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda Jedi Master
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »

Even before 2003 they were having issues with thermal protection, They've dodged a couple bullets, Atlantis in particular, had an extremely close call.

Can you recall which mission this was?

Peter H.

USA~Driver

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »
STS-27 was the one I was referring to although there have been more less serious.

christra

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
STS-27 was the one I was referring to although there have been more less serious.
STS-27 had some severe tile damage due to the tip of the right side SRB. It broke off during ascent and damaged 700 (!) black tiles.

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
    • My 3D Models
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 12:50:27 AM »
I think one was completely missing as well.

Back to topic :)
Oct 14th is the new date for STS-125

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

desktopsimmer

• Shuttle Pilot
    • My 3D Models
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 02:35:18 AM »
Update
Oct. 14 at 10:19 p.m. EDT. So for the UK that's Oct. 15 at 3:19 a.m. BST (uk summer time) or 2:19 am GMT.

Proud SSM2007 Linux User

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 02:43:44 AM »
Well, there was always issues concerning the Thermal Protection System which was already discovered during development. It is an unpreventable design flaw of the Space Transportation System because the TPS is not protected at all. During early tests of the Shuttle there was even massive tile loss which had to be fixed by using a different "glue". Also, during lift off of STS-1, the Columbia ironically got damage to its TPS for the first time on its first mission as it did on its final mission too. But the tile loss during the STS-1 lift off was caused by the sound of the SRB's. This was why the Water Sound Suppression System has been installed.

Note the missing tiles on the OMS pods of Columbia (STS-1):

Such a disaster happend to Columbia in 2003 was only a question of time. The External Tank foam loss and/or possible damage of the TPS was well known all the time but nobody really expected any serious problems. But as usual, we, humans, were wrong on that. A Columbia-like disaster already could have happened earlier or during these days or maybe never. It's just risk/luck. And the risk is still there as we can see by the current preparation of STS-400 and the Shuttle Boom Sensor System including the back flip maneuver. This is not really a solution for a manned space program on the long run. Without the requirement of assembling the ISS by using the Shuttle, the remaining fleet already would rest on museums for sure. The OBSS & back flip just is a kind of life-sustaining measures to meet contracts concerning the ISS assembling.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:45:54 AM by Moonwalker »

Moonwalker

• Shuttle Pilot
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »
I forgot to mention that the Shuttle still has a high success rate of more than 98%, higher than the Apollo system had ;)

I bet Ares will have an even higher success rate since its TPS will be protected completely during launch. And NASA has learned its lessons from STS-51L too.