Author Topic: Right On with the Manual and Checklists for RMS  (Read 6332 times)

FlyingCoke

• Just joined training
Right On with the Manual and Checklists for RMS
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »
I was stuck on STS 8 especially RMS operations (moving the joints and capturing) I wholeheartedly agree with those who say read the manual, within minutes of re-reading the RMS section of the manual and consulting the checklists for the RMS I was able to grapple PFTA and finish up the ops. Also reading relevant information on the linked sites to NASA about the missions are a wealth of information. I am starting STS 41C this afternoon, looking forward to it. If you get a chance pick up the books by Ben Evans about Challenger and Columbia, and Shayler space system failures series is unbeliveable in the amount of help it can give you.

Anyone having RMS trouble just keep plugging away at it, you will get it!

Really looking forward to wrestling with Solar Max with MMU and then pulling it in with the RMS, and going to work on it.

This is the best simulator I have ever played, I was a MS Flight Sim junkie up until a month ago when I bought Space Shuttle and have since uninstalled FSX from my PC who needs it!

Cheers,

Ben Peters

rokushakubo

• Just joined training
Re: Right On with the Manual and Checklists for RMS
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:22:44 AM »
Agreed!  I finally finished STS-8 this evening.  I was having trouble with the RMS too, but with the help of the grapple guide, I figured it out - it's not that difficult when you get the hang of it!   ;D

(BTW, as you may know, I bought the sim more or less on the day it was released - it's taken me this long to complete STS-8 because I was having a load of problems working out the RMS, then just as I was getting the hang of it, I had to format my hard drive.  I've also played a few other games in the meantime).

I've now completed STS-1, STS-8 and STS-26.

BTW, I'm also quite slow as I like to try to understand what I'm doing rather than just following instructions blindly, so I spend quite a bit of time reading up on the shuttle too.

OMaHA

Re: Right On with the Manual and Checklists for RMS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Something I found out. I must be dumb as a box of crayons. If you grapple and miss, make sure you open the grapple back up Hint: (BACKSPACE) I had the RMS in the correct position the last 2 days on STS-8 and forgot to open the grapple back up after I closed it.  Would have saved me a bunch of Excedrin. LOL Would have been an easy fix if I would have been paying attention to the grey boxes.