Author Topic: Your biggest misconception about the shuttle  (Read 46164 times)

Cthulhus

• Space Shuttle Mission 2007
  • Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Crew/Moderator
    • Avionic-Online
Re: Your biggest misconception about the shuttle
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
I was sure that the Shuttle program will be active forever ... This is my biggest misconception...
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
I was sure that there always be a Shuttle - this being the first of a long line of Space Shuttles, taking people back and forth to touristic Space Stations (hotels in space). That was back in '75, when they were only talking about the STS program.

How sad that my childhood hopes and imagination didn't come true after all. Maybe politicians should talk to kids more often.

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

Augustus

• Trainee
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:07 PM »
@Admin
Defnitly, they should to kids more often...
This is a signature forum outer Space...
 ...not really.

DenisFerrari

• Astronaut
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
... I cannot believe sts program just finished. Tears and sadness will slowly pass... But space shuttle will never fly again andthis is extremely sad to accept.
Also because NASA has NOTHING in substitution in the meanwhile ... And as per constellation project, the same can happen to Orion and all the rest... Cannot believe this!
This is an end of an era .. do not know if there will be a true new era in the next decade.

Denis Ferrari - Italy

Yossarian1943

• Just joined training
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
In 1981 i thought "OK, 10 years later the next generation of shuttles will launch like a normal jet".

Now, more than 30 years later we will get MPCV.... :-X
»Warum soll ich nicht beim Gehen« -
Sprach er - »in die Ferne sehen?
Schön ist es auch anderswo,
Und hier bin ich sowieso.«
Wilhelm Busch

bjbeard

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »
OR will we?

Cras

• Astronaut
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 04:19:17 AM »
OR will we?

We will.

We also got Space X.   Which may end up doing more than NASA.  What would that say if Space X got to Mars before NASA?

bjbeard

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:20 AM »
If we are on Mars before 2050 ill be amazed...

We have to go back to the moon first. We still dont really know what will happen to humans after 18 month in constant zero g.  We should get a better idea of that when Scott Kelly and Mikhail Korniyenko fly to the iSS for a year long mission in 2015.

Cras

• Astronaut
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
If we are on Mars before 2050 ill be amazed...

We have to go back to the moon first. We still dont really know what will happen to humans after 18 month in constant zero g.  We should get a better idea of that when Scott Kelly and Mikhail Korniyenko fly to the iSS for a year long mission in 2015.

That is going to be quite a thing, I look forward to that flight with great anticipation.  That will really give us some insight into what a Mars flight will look like in terms of the toll on the human passengers.

Also give us a clue into what can be done about it.

I don't tend to get that excited about the day to day of the ISS, mainly because it is always there and always going on, it is easy to loose track of it and get caught up in the launches that go on in the meantime.  Especially back in the Shuttle days.   But that will get my attention for a bit I should think.