Author Topic: approaches and g force effects on crew  (Read 7648 times)

Chris

approaches and g force effects on crew
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
So I noticed on a approach that i was way to high. I just nose dived my space shuttle (like 90 degrees) and pulled up pulling massive g's till i was on the normal approach path again and just landed with no problems.
Is it possible for the shuttle to do this and won't the pilots get a blackout or something. Will these g effects be implemented in future versions?? (like in fighter sims: screen black, or screen red when youre experiencing g forces)

have a nice weekend,

chris,
 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 05:54:17 PM by Chris »

rokushakubo

• Just joined training
Re: approaches and g force effects on crew
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
I like this idea.  I've occasionally just about noticed that I'm pulling a 4G turn with no ill-effects.

DangerousDaze

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
Fighter pilots tend to black out in violent turns at around the 9 to 10G mark so you're ok there.  Also bear in mind that you're wearing a G suit for re-entry and landing.

4G isn't much higher than the max allowed for fairground rides (3.5G).  Alan Shepherd in his crazy sub-orb Mercury mission pulled 11G at one point - did you see the size of that capsule he flew in?  Wow!

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »
I like this idea.  I've occasionally just about noticed that I'm pulling a 4G turn with no ill-effects.

Some of the perks of a simulator :)

/Admin
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -

christra

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
So I noticed on a approach that i was way to high. I just nose dived my space shuttle (like 90 degrees) and pulled up pulling massive g's till i was on the normal approach path again and just landed with no problems.
Is it possible for the shuttle to do this and won't the pilots get a blackout or something. Will these g effects be implemented in future versions?? (like in fighter sims: screen black, or screen red when youre experiencing g forces)
have a nice weekend,
chris
:D
The shuttle has a g-limit of 2.5 in z-direction (up/down). If you are high on energy (too high and/or too fast) you should not fly directly to the HAC but another s-turn to extend your approach path. The guidance symbol in the HUD should show you how to do that. The speedbrake should be at 100% of course. You should meet the HAC ON energy, which means: on glidepath and about 300 knots. The crews try to get below Mach 1 outside the HAC because the shuttle does not turn very well above the speed of sound. Sometimes it is nescessary to to a "pull-up" maneuver to get below Mach 1. But without exceeding the g-limits of course.  ;)

Your maneuver is NOT flown in reality.

Good luck!

DangerousDaze

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:17:31 AM »
Lol, yeah, forgot to mention.  You'd be ok.  The Shuttle wouldn't. ;)

aloper

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
If I remember correctly from a conversation I had with a friend who works at KSC, the shuttle guidance system has some things it can do in high or low energy states on approach. In this case, if your high and fast, the HAC circle can be enlarged so the Shuttle can bleed off excessive speed and altitude. Another thing is that the landing gear can be deployed at a higher altitude, imparting drag and bringing the airspeed down. Same thing if you were "low and slow". Smaller HAC and a lower altitude for landing gear deployment. 

Al

Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies...

But like christa said: The shuttle has a g-limit of 2.5 in z-direction (up/down).
And now i can make all kind of turns in the simulator without damaging the shuttle.
I'd like to know if they are going to implement some sort of damagemodel for impossible maneuvers.
I made a screenshot of a pull up pulling 68.4 g LOL.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:33:05 PM by Chris »

Admin

• Commander
  • Shuttle Pilot
  • Sic Itur Ad Astra
    • Space Shuttle Mission 2007 (tm)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
Point taken.

We'll "crash" the Shuttle if you pull  these "tricks". One of the future SPs will do that :)

/Admin.
- The Space Shuttle Mission 2007(tm)Team -